Thursday, March 3, 2016

Three little pleasures



I've had a very busy day and have found it difficult to sit next to a computer to write a post. I won't be finishing off part two of my blog about political scandals until tomorrow. In the meantime thought I would simply write a few words about a few little simple pleasures that I've come to appreciate. Enjoy!

1. Singing

One of the best things we can do for our soul, body, and mind is to sing, and probably sing with other people in particular. I'm lucky enough to be a part of a men's choir with many friends (that is also beginner-friendly, thankfully). We practice once a week and man does it feel like I've "hit the reset button" after every practice. I feel in a better mood... more confident and intelligent. It's really quite good.


2. Sleep

When life is busy and it's hard to get enough sleep.... it's just a pretty great thing and you know it when you don't have it. I always try to get 8 hours of sleep but I've heard up to 10 hours can be ideal. You know what doesn't help us sleep though? Our stinkin' smart phones. Those screens keep us up and rob us of precious sleep all so we can read one more article on Gawker.


3. Prayer

There's probably 10 misconceptions about prayer for every good idea about it, but I'm still solidly in the camp that. Just today I was with someone who was facing a difficult situation. We talked about it at length and... it was just a tricky situation. We decided to pray about it and... okay it's not that prayer is about getting answers or miracles, What prayer is good for is opening ourselves to connection with the world around us and, certainly (in my books), to God. It's almost like you are reminding yourself that the world is actually a little different than the things we focus on in the day to day. It's like it helps your vision, seeing problems with better imagination or seeing opportunity and love where you maybe couldn't see it before. A very good thing to do, in my opinion!


So there you have it. Three simple things that make life just a little meaningful. Til tomorrow!








No comments:

Post a Comment